Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Pre-order - Delivery date t.b.d.
- Order number: 180121
Are you ready for some sound exploration? – The Microphonic Soundbox is an electro-acoustic instrument for musicians who love to experiment. The compact wooden case features metal rods, springs, a sandpaper surface and a Kalimba, all of which are picked up by two contact microphones. To create sounds and noises, all you have to do is tap or wipe on the various elements. Alternatively, why don’t you try using a violin bow or everyday objects on the rods, springs and the sandpaper surface? Thanks to a Hi-Z audio input, it is possible to add other equipment to the Microphonic Soundbox.
The Microphonic Soundbox offers a wide range of interesting elements to create sounds and noises. In detail, the following components are available:
- Two metal rods – Besides touching the rods, it is also possible to play them via, for instance, a violin bow. The results are spherical-metallic sounds.
- Three metal springs of various lengths – Please pluck here to create rattling, clanking noises.
- Kalimba with carbon strips – Specialized in tonal “plucked” sounds.
- Sandpaper surface – Perfect for generating scraping, scratching noises.
All elements are picked-up by two contact microphones. The following low-noise pre-amps offer up to 100x gain. Thus, even quite signals and subtle nuances are captured. A mixer sums up the audio material coming from both pre-amps. Results are emitted via an output. External equipment can be connected to the Microphonic Soundbox using its audio input. While this socket is in use, one of the contact microphones is deactivated. Thanks to battery operation, you can use the instrument at any time, any place.
Hint: If you feed the output of the Microphonic Soundbox to a voluminous reverb effect, preferably with freeze function, or to a granular processor like the Mutable Clouds, the instrument turns into an electro-acoustic drone generator. – Extremely cool!
• The amplifier circuitry in mk2 has even better audio quality and extended frequency range now.
• Soundbox mk2 is a super low noise and top quality amp for any kind of contact mics!
• The power supply unit has a new battery management circuit and switches the LED from blue to red when battery goes under 7,2 volt (still hours left then).
• The Kalimba features now 5 strips and is mounted on a universal threaded M3 strip, so it can be exchanged against whatever you want, using standard M3 screws.
• On the left side a threaded M3 strip is integrated over the whole length and an additional wood piece is included, which allows to mount a big range of sound-generating objects plus 2 additional thumb screws M3x12mm.
• Mk2 has two outputs now: one mixes both amp-channels together, if the other one is used additionally, channels are sent to the outs separately.
• The Soundbox is now a hub for external contact mics: By the two outs you are able to use the external input on a separate out and can still play the Soundbox via the other channel.
• The output stage features an attenuator now, which makes it possible to use the Soundbox with more sensitive audio interfaces and consumer equipment.